Thursday, April 7, 2011

a little bit crazy



there are little balls of yarn all over my house .
a basket next to my spinning chair is overflowing with a tangled mess of small skeins, knotted bits and bunches of works in progress and forgotten projects on the way to the scrap bin.
and then there all the balls of gifted, traded and swapped cast-off yarn overflowing from paper grocery bags.

in the middle of this mess, you'll find me sitting cross-legged on the floor cutting random lengths of yarn. i throw the cut pieces into a pile and once i have a good mess made, i tie them together until i have a four-ounce ball of scraps. the ball gets tossed behind me on the chair and i begin again. and again. they're all different, one-of-a-kind creations. and people like them.

with just a few weeks until craftstravaganza, i am spinning, winding, dyeing, wrapping, skeining, pretty much all the hours of the day that i'm not at my real job. 

and my project this week is scrap balls. they are taking over my life. and my house. 

holy scrap balls! tell me more!
well, since you asked, this is how i describe them in my etsy shop...

This is a big ball of scraps of various lengths, all knotted together to make a one-of-a-kind funky item. The colors are a rainbow of scrappyness! The tails are meant to stick out on both sides of the finished fabric or be poked through to the front or back. Anything goes! You could use this for free-form knitting too, if stripes aren't your thing.

These are scraps from my personal knitting projects. I use good yarn. No 100% acrylics at all – ever. That said, there could be an acrylic-blend. But if I wouldn't knit with it in the first place, it wouldn't be in the magic scrap ball. There is definitely wool, alpaca, mohair, silk, etc. And no icky fun fur. The weight is primarily worsted.

Will it felt? Some blends will felt better than others and it could contain a wee bit of super wash. Projects knitted with these scrap balls do "bloom" beautifully after hand washing and a little fluff time in the dryer. The tails get shaggier and the yarns make a lovely halo.

so that's what i'm up to. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to see all your new yarn at Craftstravaganza! What a pretty photo of the scrap ball!

    ReplyDelete