Friday, January 21, 2011

Warm and fuzzy

Last Sunday I got the great news that I have been accepted again as a vendor at Craftstravaganza! I consider myself very lucky as I know they always get more applicants than they have spots for. So I'm thrilled to be part of the mix. My cube neighbor at work will also have her own booth. She makes the cutest little girl's raincoats!

There is a lot of work to do before April 30. So this week I've started gearing up. Made an order of soy wax, wicks and a couple new fragrances. I dyed up some of the fluffy wool batting I got last summer at the St. Peter Woolen Mill. This is interesting stuff. They sell it primarily as batting for quilts and comforters, but it works fine for spinning. It was fascinating to see  my giant 2-pound batt come off the huge, commercial drum carder. I'm told the wool is from the upper Midwest but it's all processed in Minnesota. It takes the dye very well and makes a soft, slightly fuzzy yarn. I like plying it with Merino or Corriedale for a bit of extra sheen.

This weekend I'll bring the wheel down from the spare room and set up my "spinning station" in the living room in front of my favorite chair. Photos to come! Until then, how about some cute lambs?

A group of four-day old lambs relax in the straw at sheep rancher Chuck Dallas' ranch near Wilsall, Mont.,
Bozeman Daily Chronicle, Erik Petersen

1 comment: