Thursday, November 4, 2010

Working with scrap yarn

Pattern is Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Sweater on Two Needles from Knitter's Almanac
All those little bits of leftover yarn that end up in the bottom of my knitting bag are treasures to me. So much so that I have been known to raid the knitting stashes of friends and family members for the precious little oddballs. When I have a good selection of colors I cut them into random lengths and tie them together for a scrappy skein. It's a rather putzy task but you end up with a colorful, fun magic ball that changes colors at your whim. Here's a baby sweater I made for little Frannie a few years back. It took 4.75 ounces of scrap yarn. I consider the tails part of the charm. It would be maddening to try to weave them in. The reverse side (not shown, sorry) looks cool, too.

Sokka was just a kitten here. He has always been really helpful with my knitting projects.


Scrappy skein. They're all one of a kind mini-time capsules of long-ago knitwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment